Re: DSS2/PM on 3.2 broken?

On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 12:21 +0000, Joe Woodward wrote:

> If I do (either from the console or via a button press on the screen) then I never get a SYNC_LOST.
>   echo 0 > /sys/devices/omapdss/display0/enabled
>   echo 1 > /sys/devices/omapdss/display0/enabled
>
> Just trying to think of some ideas that may be affecting the DSS...
>   - Could it to be to do with the GPIO being used as a wake source (i.e. does the GPIO driver do runtime_pm properly?)?
>   - Could it to be to do with the UART as it seems to fix itself whenever a character is pressed?
>   - Could it to be to do with the ordering in which drivers are resumed?

Well, none of these sound probable to me. I don't see any connection
with GPIOs or UART as such with DSS (I mean something that could cause
sync losts).

The only thing that I can see affecting DSS via GPIO/UART is indirectly
via PM, with voltages or clocks. But if DSS responds in some way, I
presume the voltages are ok. And your clocks should be low enough to
work with lower OPPs also. So I'm quite out of ideas.

Of course there could be a problem in the omapdss when it returns its
registers. But it wouldn't explain why the synclosts end if you press a
key in the console.

> Is the SYNC_LOST normally due to a lack of memory bandwidth? If so, it is possible to find out what the kernel is doing during the resume?

No. That should cause fifo underflows. I don't know the exact reasons
for sync_lost, but I think it generally means that the DSS sub-modules
lose sync with each other. Mostly this is due to clock config, but can
be cause also by other (wrong) configuration which makes a DSS
sub-module behave somehow wrong (or halt totally).

> And before looking at this too much more, is the changing of the pm_runtime_put to the _sync versions the correct fix?

Well. I think it's a correct fix, in functional sense. However, I would
like to use non-sync versions normally, but that's just for performance
optimization.

> Sorry for so many questions, but I'm interested in getting this fixed as it's the only thing stopping me from switching to 3.2 from 3.0!

The only idea I have currently is to add/enable debug prints which show
information about PM changing its states, so we could see if something
actually changes at the moment you press a key in the console.

What kind of setup did you have again? I wonder if I could reproduce it
easily with overo/beagle (it was omap3, wasn't it?)?

 Tomi