Re: [RFC/PATCH 00/26] PM: Create the AVS class of drivers

Hi Mark, Benoit,

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Mark Brown
<broonie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 06:40:07PM +0100, Cousson, Benoit wrote:
>> On 11/22/2011 5:43 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
>
>> >This sounds a lot like what devfreq (which was recently merged) is
>> >supposed to do.  Have you looked at the overlap there?
>
>> devfreq is a fmwk for DVFS governors at device level, whereas AVS
>> stands for Adaptive Voltage Scaling. This technique does not involve
>> any frequency change, and does a fine voltage adjustment to adapt to
>> silicon process / aging / thermal variation based on a HW closed
>> loop.
>
> Ah, I see.  It wasn't clear from the changelog that this was about fine
> adjustmnets rather than operating point selection.
Ok I will update the commit description as well as the Kconfig description.

>> Both DVFS and AVS can be used independently.
>
>> I think that AVS does belong to the voltage control infrastructure
>> more than the DVFS/freq one.
>
> This does sound like the two may need to understand each other at some
> point - if you want to do AVS on things that can vary their operating
> point to fine tune the voltages that get set then you'll need to be able
> to interface the two.
Sure it is needed to notify the AVS code when the OPP changes, in
order to update the adjustment parameters of the SmartReflex IP.
I need to update my ToDo list with this point.

Thanks,
Jean