Re: OMAP4 DSS clock setup

Hi Archit,

On 3/31/2011 8:42 AM, Taneja, Archit wrote:
On Wednesday 30 March 2011 06:51 PM, Cousson, Benoit wrote:
On 3/30/2011 2:58 PM, Valkeinen, Tomi wrote:
On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 14:12 +0200, Cousson, Benoit wrote:
On 3/30/2011 1:03 PM, Valkeinen, Tomi wrote:
On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 11:32 +0200, Cousson, Benoit wrote:
Hi Tomi,

On 3/30/2011 8:48 AM, Valkeinen, Tomi wrote:
Hi Benoit, Paul,

I've been discussing with Sumit and Archit to understand how the DSS
clocks are set up on OMAP4. I think I now have some idea how things
work, but I'm still at loss why things are the way they are.

So, if I look at OMAP4 TRM, Figure 10-4 DSS Clock Tree, there are two
clocks in PRCM block that are relevant to this discussion: DSS_L3_ICLK
and DSS_FCLK. To my understanding DSS_L3_ICLK is not really
controllable, but it is affected by MODULEMODE bit.

Then we have two relevant clocks defined in clock44xx_data.c: dss_fck
and dss_dss_clk. dss_fck controls the MODULEMODE bit, and dss_dss_clk is
the TRM's DSS_FCLK.

Was that correct?

Yes. For the moment, but this is not the final state.

If so, from DSS driver's perspective, the dss_fck sounds very much like
an interface clock (it's always needed when DSS is used) and dss_dss_clk
sounds very much like functional clock (it's always needed, except if
DSI PLL is used for DSS functional clock).

dss_dss_fck is one of the possible functional clocks, hence the optional
attribute. You can run the DSS only for sys_clk is you want.

We can? I remember this was possible on OMAP2, but I can't seem to find
it on OMAP4 TRM...

Ah right, you mean sys_clk goes to DSI PLL, and the output from DSI PLL
can be used as functional clock?

Yes, you're right, maybe we can still use the sys_clk directly with a
parallel QVGA LCD like on OMAP2:-)

We _always_ need DSS_FCLK to get DSS up and running, and to configure
DSI PLL if we want to get the clocks from there. So it's not quite that
optional. But it's true that we can turn it off later.

Just wanted to clarify the issue for myself and summarise:

hwmod and pm runtime ensures that the MODULEMODE bits are set, and
technically, that should be enough for a module to get up and running.
But because of the strange design of DSS HW, we need an additional clock
(DSS_CLK at bootup, could be something else later on) to access DSS
registers. So we need to enable dss_dss_fclk in our driver in the
beginning itself to access a register, hence Sumit's patch is needed.

The strange thing is that if dss_dss_fclk is
off(OMAP4430_OPTFCLKEN_DSSCLK bit is 0) it doesn't mean that the clock
is surely OFF. Its only OFF when the DPLL per m5x2 divider allows HW
auto-gating of the clock.

Hehe, welcome to the PRCM world :-)

So OPTCLKEN_DSSCLK is in a way a dummy bit which when set, ensures that
the M5 divider doesn't auto gate. So it isn't exactly a enable/disable bit.

It is the case for most clocks in the system. You know when it is enabled, but it will be disabled only when the clock domain or in that case the parent clock will do HW auto gating. In this case there is no intermediate gating because the DSS_CLK is the only user of the M5 HW divider output, so gating only the parent is enough.

In our tree(2.6.38-rc series), HW auto gating bit was disabled for m5x2
divider, and hence, it never mattered to us if OPTCLKEN_DSSCLK was
enabled or disabled. We went on happily without bothering about this opt
clock.

When things got merged in mainline, the HW auto gating for m5x2 came
into picture(HSDIVIDER_CLKOUT2_GATE_CTRL in CM_DIV_M5_DPLL_PER), and
then suddenly dss_dss_fclk became super crucial, and a register access
depended on it. This was the main reason of the confusion I guess.

That make sense now, in theory, all these HS divider should be autogated by default, it was not the case previously because we were still in a non-PM optimize mode. That's why you have to control the clock at your level to ensure that the HW will not gate the parent clock.

Benoit