comm with FTDI usb chip from davinci dm3730 with linux and Arm

Hello List,

I am working with my Texas Instruments DM3730 EVM board running its default Linux kernel 2.6.32 and default Linux distro Arago 2010.05. The cpu info is:

Processor       : ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 998.84
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x3
CPU part        : 0xc08
CPU revision    : 2

Hardware        : OMAP3 EVM
Revision        : 0020
Serial          : 0000000000000000

I need to communicate via USB master to an FTDI Ft245R device that can be found here:
            http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT245R.htm

For cross-compiling I have the free CodeSourcery G++ Lite 2009q1-203 version 4.3.3.

The TI EVM kit has libusb-0.1 already installed. What I *think* I need is to just build the package called libftdi that can be found here:
            http://www.intra2net.com/en/developer/libftdi/index.php

So my questions are:

1) Has the already-installed libusb-0.1 been tested or used by anyone successfully?

2) Has anyone tried anything similar to what I need, most likely using some other FTDI chip or with libftdi ?

3) Do you know if the default EVM kernel (2.6.32) and Linux will even compile libftdi or if it works?

4) I know how to build kernels, so if someone could point me to some kernel source or patches then I could configure a working kernel.

Thanks!