DMA from GPMC peripheral to external RAM

Hi,
I'm trying to transfer from an FPGA peripheral on the 3530's GPMC bus
to external RAM on a 2.6.32 kernel.  Transferring words using
*ram_buffer = __raw_readw(peripheral_addr) works for non-DMA copies
and I've checked that the DMA cycle works in my driver by using
another location in RAM as the source instead of the peripheral
register and I get values and an interrupt as expected, but when using
the FPGA as source all values are 0xff.  The FPGA uses WAIT1 to signal
read/write completion and I've set GPMC_CONFIG6_CYCLE2CYCLEDELAY so
chip select is toggled between transfers as the FPGA hardware
currently requires.

Does a DMA transfer use GPMC settings for timing?  Are there other
settings I need to worry about for this case?

Thanks!
,
John