Re: NAND ECC in linux-omap

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Ghorai, Sukumar <s-ghorai@xxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks for the suggestions.  I did write the JFFS2 image with the
following commands:

flash_erasall -j /dev/mtd4

I then mounted the fs with:
mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock4 /media/mtdblock4

and extracted a tar archive into it.  I immediately get some ECC
errors.  If I unmount, and re-mount I get continuous streaming ECC
errors.  As Linux is managing the entire process, it seems there must
be a disconnect somewhere.  Also, note that I disabled HW ECC in
drivers/mtd/nand/omap2.c so that I could get x-load and u-boot to work
with images written with nandwrite as noted previously in this thread.

I then reverted my change that disables hw ECC, and the above
procedure worked fine.  So I guess I need to figure out some way that
I can write images to the u-boot/kernel partitions that is compatible
with my x-loader/u-boot and at the same time keep JFFS2 working.  At
the present, it seems that:

- x-loader/u-boot will only read images written in Linux with hw ECC
disabled in omap2.c
- JFFS2 will only work with hw ECC enabled in omap2.c

Again, thanks for the explanation, and I appreciate any suggestions
going forward.

Thanks,
Cliff