Re: dspbridge and the omapl1x

Hello Felipe,

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Felipe Contreras
<felipe.contreras@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Ben Gardiner
> <bengardiner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Yes, dynamic memory management. With DSP Link on the OMAPL138 the
>> memory allocated to the DSP must be specified as a 'hole' in Linux
>> memory at boot-time [1[2][3]. It seems (perhaps this is wishful
>> thinking) that dspbridge does not have this limitation.
>
> The dsp-bridge can map scattered user-space pages just fine.
>
>> Also dynamic application loading. With DSP Link it is possible to run
>> multiple linux processes concurrently communicating with DSP tasks but
>> the image loaded and executed on the DSP side must contain the code
>> for all of the tasks at load time [4]. It seems that dspbridge does
>> not have this limitation.
>
> Indeed, you can dynamically load socket-nodes.

Thank you kindly for the confirmations. It's good to know our
comprehension of the current state of dspbridge is correct.

>> I am very interested in learning details about both dsplink and
>> dspbridge; please reply with more details or corrections as you see
>> fit.
>
> Have you looked into dsp-gateway[1]? The code is very simple and AFAIK
> it was close to getting merged upstream, but it's unmaintained
> nowadays. It was used on OMAP1 and OMAP2 by Nokia, and shares code
> with dsp-bridge, like mailbox and soon iommu. So it might be possible
> to port the OMAP1 stuff from dsp-gateway into dsp-bridge.

That's a good suggestion, thanks. Now that you mention it the OMAP1
and OMAPL1x have similarities other than their names [1]: they both
have ARM9 cores for GPP but the OMAP1 has a C55x where the L1x has a
C67x for DSP. I must admit that I'm not sure how I could extract the
platform specific information from the files made available by the
dspgateway project [2] yet. Nevertheless, I appreciate you pointing
out this similarity and I hope I can make use of it in the future.

Best Regards,
Ben Gardiner

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_OMAP
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/dspgateway/files/