RE: omap3 pm: dependency between opp layer and cpufreq

From: Menon, Nishanth
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:57 PM
To: Premi, Sanjeev
Cc: linux-omap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: omap3 pm: dependency between opp layer and cpufreq

[snip]--[snip]

[sp] Responding via webmail.. so the formatting and quotes are non-standard :(

> # OPP support in (OMAP3+ only at the moment)
> # XXX The OPP TWL/TPS code should only be included when a TWL/TPS
> # PMIC is selected.
> ifdef CONFIG_CPU_FREQ
> obj-$(CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP3) += opp.o opp_twl_tps.o
ok this needs to be split:
a) opp_twl_tps should depend on TWL_CORE and not CPUFREQ - there is no
need actually
b) opp.o should remain dependent on CPU_FREQ.

[sp] That was in my next mail.

> endif
>
> But changing CONFIG_CPU_FREQ to CONFIG_TWL4030_POWER leads to these errors:
see (b)

[snip--[snip]

> Questions/ comments:
>
> 1) The linkage between OPP and Voltage are not driven by the PMIC.
>     They are defined by/for the silicon itself.

look carefully at twl -> it is the abstraction where needed for pmic
translation of a voltage value - this you agree is PMIC dependent I suppose.

> 2) The implementation for setting the voltage should depend upon the PMIC.
ACK- the concept should be independent of PMIC - each PMIC, like
5030/tps Vs custom PMICs have thier own unique mechanisms of setting
voltages - the renewed SR series from Thara addresses this concern.(not
in pm branch yet - but potentially soon)

> 3) Was there any specific need to tie the functions "opp_get_voltage" and others to cpufreq only?

yes, because without cpufreq there is no transitions in the system :)

[sp] I does - via bootarg - mpurate!

When kernel boots, volatge must be set properly.
We cannot rely on u-boot to be settiing everything correctly. e.g. 720MHz on OMAP3530 would fail at nominal 1.2V set by u-boot.

> I am working on a patch that should remove some of these dependencies.
> But, trying to open up a discussion as well...

do post them. thanks