Re: trying to understand the device model

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 05:43:38PM +0100, ext Hua Yu Yang wrote:
hi

sorry for spam if this is actually just naive.

i'm new to linux kernel driver module and planning to write a small
driver module for gpio test, here is what confuses me:

1. in the kernel module programming guide from tldp.org, a device is
registered with system by major and minor numbers but in recent kernel
source( i'm working with 2.6.28.10 ), the files under

that's not recent at all :-s Could you move to current linux-omap git ?

Documentation/driver-model/ seem to introduce a whole new set of
models, also in kernel source, gpiolib and plat-omap/gpio.c seem to
follow the new models. i'm not sure if the way described in kernel
module programming guide is still valid for recent kernels.

you should try to use current kernels.

2. for your information, i want to write a simple driver based on gpio
interface described in Documentation/gpio.txt and implement a 8-bit
read function as well as an interrupt handler, sort of using gpios to
emulate a parallel port. this is just a workaround for lacking access
to camera interface on IGEPv2 board, so no need to consider
portability or whatsoever, is there any problem for me to just use
module_init() and module_exit(), as is shown in the kernel module
programming guide, instead of going into all those add/remove classes,
buses, interfaces?

I believe you'll like to look at the platform_driver structures and make a driver that claims the gpios you need and sets correct direction/value when needed.

--
balbi