Re: DMA example

On 02/24/2010 02:52 PM, Tony Lindgren wrote:
* Philip Balister<philip@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  [100224 14:28]:
On 02/24/2010 12:35 PM, Tony Lindgren wrote:
* Philip Balister<philip@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   [100224 11:31]:
I am trying to setup a dma operation to copy memory from GPMC
address space into RAM. The only examples using the omap-dma api use
hardware triggers.

When I start a transfer, I end up with a DMA transaction error when
I start the transfer.

Does anyone have a good example of a software transfer? Currently, I
am tracing the omap dma api to see how things map into the registers

Enjoy the GPMC timings. I recommend attaching a logic analyzer there
to verify the things are right for the key lines if you have chance.

Hmm I thought the hardware triggers were optional in at least
drivers/usb/musb/tusb6010_omap.c.. Maybe I don't remember correctly.

GPMC is easy :)

Sounds like you just got lucky! :)

OK, I am using the 2K non-multiplexed mode atm :) Still I have a logic analyzer and am confident I can get the mux'd modes working. Burst is still a bit scary.

Basically, I have a device attached to a GPMC chip select and I need
to read/write to it. The GPNC bit is fine, we'd just like to use the
DMA controller to move the data.

That should work, at least there has been several memory-to-memory
dma test modules posted here over the years. Have you tried using
OMAP_DMA_NO_DEVICE for omap_request_dma? Also search for omap dmatest
or similar.

Thanks. This is suggesting I am on the right track, but the transfer still fails with: DMA transaction error with device 0.

The call to omap_set_dma_transfer_params adds these two args:

params->trigger, params->src_or_dst_synch);

I think they are more for hw synched transfers and set them to zero.

the src|dest param setting calls added the params->src_ei, params->src_fi arguments. I've set these to 1.

Any more clues?

Philip