Re: eac and mcbsp for omap850

Hello,

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 15:05:47 ext Jarkko Nikula wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 13:06:05 +0100
>
> Belisko Marek <marek.belisko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to rewrite old eac audio driver for omap730 to current
> > ASoc implementation
> > but as I can understand new implementation use McBsP to
> > transfer data to codec. Could this approach be used in omap850 which
> > use EAC like codec and data from memory is transfered via DMA?
>
> Basically it should be possible to develop a new ASoC DAI driver using
> EAC. Even currently there is only one McBSP based DAI driver
> sound/soc/omap/omap-mcbsp.c, there is no restrictions to develop another
> DAI drivers since the sound/soc/omap/omap-pcm.c is not tied to
> underlying DAI.

As I recall this is one of the reasons that Jarkko wants to keep the DMA and
McBSP related code separately (to have the possibility to add the EAC support
with the least code duplication).
As I recall on OMAP2 the EAC had some bugs, which prevented it's use in certain
situations, thus the McBSP mode was preferred over EAC.

But yes, adding the EAC dai should be possible for OMAP.

--
Péter