RE: Query: Regulator framework in EHCI driver

> > This is regarding regulator framework for 1V8 supply to EHCI PHY from
> twl4030 device.
> >
> > [EHCI port on OMAP3EVM uses SMSC USB3320 PHY and uses 1V8 supply from
> twl4030 chip.]
> >
> > I found twl4030_usb_ldo_init () function in drivers/usb/otg/twl4030-
> usb.c, which uses regulator framework but it can not be used by all the
> board which are not using twl4030 PHY. Don't you think this function need
> to be moved to some other common location?
> >
> > Currently we are not enabling 1V8 supply explicitly but still EHCI works
> on EVM as most of the twl4030 supplies are enabled by default.
> >
> > I was thinking of adding regulator framework in EHCI driver which will
> enable the required supplies based on one of the board_data passed (same
> as reset_gpio) from board files.
>
> You should be able to regulator_get() the 1v8 supply and
> regulator_enable() it. The regulator was already setup in twl4030-core.c
> so that should work just fine.

I can do regulator_get() and regulator_enable() but where ? Are you referring to board file?

I was thinking of doing it in a generic form within EHCI driver (ehci-omap.c).

> It's not a good idea to export
> twl4030_ldo_init() since that's only for twl4030-usb itself.

I am not asking for exporting twl4030_ldo_init() but to remove EHCI specific
regulator part from this file to ehci-omap.c in a generic form.

> If you regulator_get()/regulator_enable() then the regulator will be
> refcounted.
>
> You might want to add more consumers to the same supply based on board
> information though.

It can be done but the issue it to make regulator_get()/regulator_enable() calls at a common location.

-Ajay