OMAP3 HSUSB EHCI External hub disconnect failure

I have an AM3517 and it's using the ti,ehci-omap driver to control a
HS USB port.

I can connect and disconnect multiple devices without issue, but if I
connect and disconnect an external USB hub, the hub disconnection
isn't detected, and the USB no longer works when I connect anything.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this and/or has any
suggestions on what I can try.  I should note, that I'm seeing this
ont he 6.1 LTS branch, and I haven't had time to check the latest, but
this driver is mature, and hasn't undergone any significant changes
since 6.1.

I also will try an OMAP35 and DM37 connected the same way to see if
the problem persists on those platforms.

thanks for any advice in advance.

adam