Re: Pandora audio using machine_is_omap3_pandora() check

Hi,

Am 27.06.22 um 15:53 schrieb Tony Lindgren:
> * H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [220627 11:36]:
>> Hi Tony,
>>
>>> Am 27.06.2022 um 11:52 schrieb Tony Lindgren <tony@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>>
>>> Hi Grazvydas,
>>>
>>> Arnd noticed that pandora audio is using machine_is_omap3_pandora() check
>>> that never succeeds for devicetree booting machines. Looks like this has
>>> been broken at some point many years ago with the devicetree conversion.
>>>
>>> Does anybody have an interest in fixing this driver?
>>
>> we already have fixes by Stefan Leichter and Grond here (incl. removing any call to machine_is_omap3_pandora):
>>
>> 	https://git.goldelico.com/?p=letux-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/letux/sound-soc
>
> OK :)
>
>> But I don't know who can volunteer to run this series through the upstreaming discussions
>> and do regression tests (AFAIR the Pandora of Grond is broken and he has no replacement).

I hope that Grond's Pandora didn't break because of experiments to get the sound working.

> Probably best that Stefan and Grond do it :) Not sure what the minimal fix
> for the mainline kernel might be to get things at least try to probe.

Well, I think I'm not the right person to try to mainline the patches, but if nobody else like to volunteer I will give it a try. Be warned, I have no experience with mainlining patches, even not with kernel programming at all. Therefore I need someone holding my hand. Does anybody volunteer?

I had a look to the branch Nikolaus pointed out. Here are some questions about the patches in the branch:

- It seams to me the branch doesn't support any longer to compile the driver directly into the kernel. Am I correct?
- There are three patches from Andreas and Nikolaus in the beginning of the branch. Are this patched needed to be mainlined too?
- Two of my patches are super seeded by the patches from Grond. My guess it that the patches needs to be squashed together?
- Where should I send the patches? The current audience might be a little bit large?

Regards Stefan