Re: wl18xx: NVS file handling

Hi,

* Yegor Yefremov <yegorslists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [220420 13:58]:
> Hi all,
>
> using the 5.18.x kernel, I get the following warning:
>
> wlcore: WARNING Detected unconfigured mac address in nvs, derive from
> fuse instead.
> wlcore: WARNING This default nvs file can be removed from the file system
>
> removing the /lib/firmware/ti-connectivity/wl127x-nvs.bin file, I get
> this warning:
>
> wl18xx_driver wl18xx.0.auto: Direct firmware load for
> ti-connectivity/wl1271-nvs.bin failed with error -2
>
> What's the best way to get rid of these warnings when I don't want to
> handle WLAN's MAC address via the wl127x-nvs.bin?

See commit d382b9c00782 ("wlcore: add missing nvs file name info for
wilink8"), to me looks like the the second warning should be just removed
for wl18xx.

> According to this discussion [1], NVS file is the last resort for
> handling the MAC address.
>
> [1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/patch/8665E2433BC68541A24DFFCA87B70F5B363E1A3D@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

Yes the NVS file does not work at all for NFSroot for multiple devices.

To me it seems we should have the option for the MAC address to be
populated by the bootloader for the devicetree property like Ethernet
adapters typically do. Not sure what that might take, maybe it
already works. I guess the first step would be to make the nvs file
completely optional for wlcore.

Regards,

Tony