Re: OMAP5: inconsistency between target-module and dsi_of_data_omap5

Hi Tony and Tomi,

> Am 07.07.2020 um 20:01 schrieb Tony Lindgren <tony@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> * H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [200706 16:11]:
>>> Am 06.07.2020 um 16:36 schrieb Tony Lindgren <tony@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> I think you should now be using just the generic panel with
>>> drivers/gpu/drm/panel/panel-simple or some panel specific
>>> driver for dsi.
>>
>> None of them supports the vendor specific MIPI commands of
>> this panel.
>>
>> Therefore we have our own panel driver for years and try to
>> keep pace with upstream changes.
>
> OK yeah would be good to have it upstream. It might see use
> on some other platforms while waiting for the pyra dts files.

So if you think we can get the panel driver upstream without the
pyra dts files I am happy to submit something for review.

But I have to fix it first.

Maybe Tomi can comment about ideas what structural changes have
been done so that it got broken since v5.7-rc1. Then it becomes
easier to fix for me. Maybe there was some rework in omapdrm/dss
which needs some change in the driver.

And what I would need to know before I start to write new code is
if is possible to operate a video mipi dsi panel with driver from
gpu/drm/panel together with omapdrm (v5.7 and later).

If this is possible it should be quite easy to mix the
old omapdrm/display driver code with e.g.:

drivers/gpu/drm/panel/panel-orisetech-otm8009a.c

BR and thanks,
Nikolaus