Re: EHCI and MUSB do not discover devices without CONFIG_PM

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017, Greg KH wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 11:08:33PM +0100, Ladislav Michl wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > USB hosts do not discover any connected device on OMAP3 based board
> > with CONFIG_PM=n. Just enabling this option is enough to restore working
> > behaviour. Nothing unusual in log. Tested 4.14.2 and 4.15-rc1. I know
> > a lot of stuff depends on CONFIG_PM, but is this expected behaviour?
> > Neither EHCI nor MUSB is working without CONFIG_PM.
>
> What bus type is your controllers on?  PCI?  platform?  Something else?
>
> And yes, perhaps this is to be expected, why would you not want
> CONFIG_PM to be enabled?  :)

Well, no, it's not expected.  Systems are supposed to work correctly
with CONFIG_PM=n -- just not at an optimum power level.

EHCI certainly should work without CONFIG_PM.  When a device is plugged
in to the EHCI controller, what shows up in
/sys/kernel/debug/usb/ehci/*/registers (fill in the '*' with the
correct bus ID)?

For that matter, what does that file contain before any devices are
plugged in?

Alan Stern