Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/3] omap3-iommu: cleanups and remote registration

From: ext Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/3] omap3-iommu: cleanups and remote registration
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 20:32:10 +0200

> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
> <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 01:05:47PM +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> >> This patch series cleanups up a bit the opap3-iommu device registration and
> >> then allows registration from other parts of the code.
> >>
> >> Currently the iva2 code (tidspbridge) is not using iommu, therefore it can't be
> >> used as-is with the current omap iommu. By allowing devies to be registered
> >> externaly (either isp, or iva2) this problem goes away.
> >
> > Hmm, so does this mean that the iommu patchset is going to grow by three
> > patches?  Hope not.

This series has been posted for a long time and I want to get this in
this time with minor fixes.

> I hope Hiroshi integrates my patches.

I think that the problem of yours is that it's not necesary to allow
device registration around kernel anywhere by "omap_iommu_add()" at
all, but enough only in "omap3-iommu.c". Since eventually
"tidspbridge" will use this iommu framework, no need for this
flexibility. Keeping same kind of device registration in one place is
good thing from SoC perspective. So I want to avoid adding unnecessary
flexibility to the code. I'll follow Russell's call, anyway.