Re: cpsw regression in mainline with "cpsw/netcp: cpts depends on posix_timers"

* Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> [170424 10:38]:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 6:51 PM, Tony Lindgren <tony@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Looks like commit 07fef3623407 ("cpsw/netcp: cpts depends on posix_timers")
> > in mainline started triggering the following oops at least on j5eco-evm.
> >
> > Adding CONFIG_PTP_1588_CLOCK to .config solves it, but the oops hints
> > something is wrong with the dependencies.. CONFIG_TI_CPTS defaults to N
> > and not selecting it causes the oops.
> >
> > Any ideas what's needed to properly fix this?
>
> Does your configuration have POSIX_TIMERS enabled? If not, then CPTS
> is now also disabled. There are two issues here that we need to solve:
>
> a) find out why POSIX_TIMERS got disabled, and make sure it's always
>     turned on for normal users

$ make omap2plus_defconfig
CONFIG_POSIX_TIMERS=y
# CONFIG_PTP_1588_CLOCK is not set

So CONFIG_TI_CPTS is unselectable.

> b) find out what's wrong with the driver when CPTS is disabled. This would
>     be an existing problem that you just never saw because CPTS was
>     always enabled so far.

See a) above, yes seems there are two problems here.

Regards,

Tony