Re: [Letux-kernel] regression: drm/omapdrm: Move commit_modeset_enables() before commit_planes()

On 23 April 2017 at 01:35, Matthijs van Duin <matthijsvanduin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 21 April 2017 at 09:46, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Unfortunately without any explanation why this is a warning or needed or a problem
>> (and I must admit that I don't understand the code at all because I haven't spent time for it).
>> So it may simple be something that does not need a warning at all.
>
> I'm not immediately sure why I added it, I'd need to dig into it.

It looks like the reasoning is something along the lines of: the patch
forces buffers to be pinned at allocation time, hence
omap_gem_{get,put}_paddr should only take/drop *additional* references
and never let the refcount hit zero, which instead happens in free.

The test is still wrong, even with later patches forcing the fbdev
framebuffer being tiled, since userspace could still allocate untiled
buffers.

Anyway, this commit lacks a Signed-off and is even marked with "XXX"
in the commit summary, I'd appreciate it if this not-so-subtle hint
that is it not to be merged into any general-purpose tree is honored
in the future, so I don't get emails in my inbox from people
complaining about breakage it causes on devices I never even
considered for a second while writing the patch.

Matthijs