OMAP3630 + TWL430-RTC failures

Has anyone done much extensive testing with the TWL4030-RTC lately?

My device tree (logicpd-torpedo-37xx-devkit) has the I2C clock
frequency set to 2600000 which matches what most of the other boards
have for this.

What's interesting is that I am seeing some issues reading the RTC
from the PMIC and at times, failures writing to it.

I am testing on the 4.4.y kernel, and comparing the responses to the
3.0 kernel.  Unfortunately, I don't have a good way to examining the
clock lines, but it's on my to-do list.

Since the 3.0 kernel that i have seems to work fine and the 4.4.y had
some issues, I thought it might be software related.  I then compared
it against the 4.9-RC series and whatever is ailing my I2C bus seems
to be worse on the 4.9 branch than the 4.4.  I slowed down the I2C bus
in the device tree and it seems to work around the issue, but I
thought I'd ask if anyone else has seen anything similar.

I have put the twl4030-rtc into the kernel instead of compiling a
module.  From what I can tell, it seems to be limited to the rtc
portion of the PMIC.  I do not get errors when the processor chances
the voltage settings.  I have measured the various regulator outputs
and they appear to be correct.

The error I get is as follows:

[    3.075317] twl_rtc 48070000.i2c:twl@48:rtc: Enabling TWL-RTC
[    3.086914] twl_rtc 48070000.i2c:twl@48:rtc: rtc core: registered
48070000.i2c:twl@48 as rtc0
[    3.841400] twl_rtc 48070000.i2c:twl@48:rtc: hctosys: unable to
read the hardware clock

There is almost 800 miliseconds between when it's registered and the
attempt to read.

Thanks for any comments or feedback.

adam