Re: am335x boot failure with CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 05:43:30PM +0200, Alexander Aring wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since commit 25362dc ("ARM: 8501/1: mm: flip priority of CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA")
> which enables for (in my case) am335x CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA by default, I notice
> that my beaglebone white doesn't boot anymore when this config is enabled.
>
> I boot current linus/master via barebox v2016.04.0 with zImage format.
> The following message will be printed:
>
> Error: unrecognized/unsupported machine ID (r1 = 0x00000ee0).
>
> When I turn off CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA it boots fine again.
>
> Does somebody experienced similar issues or somebody know maybe what
> happens here?

It will have the effect of bloating the size of the kernel image,
which means if you have a dodgy uboot setup which loads the DTB
too close to the kernel image, the kernel will overwrite the DTB
while decompressing, which then means that the kernel can't find
the DTB anymore.

So, it's probably a uboot problem rather than a kernel problem.
The fix is to adjust the uboot variables to arrange for the DTB
to be placed further from the kernel image.

Sorry, but I forget the details as to what uboot variables need
changing, I'm not a uboot hacker.  I adjust things on my platforms
so stuff works again and then forget it (otherwise I'd need to
remember settings for soo many different platforms...)

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/patches/
according to speedtest.net.