General-Purpose "hacker" device tree add-on

I am working with the BeagleBone and it's AM335x CPU and would like to
have a way to control most of the available I/O from user-space.  I am
considering making a general-purpose device tree overlay (which could be
simply added to the DT if the BeagleBone specific overlay manager is not
present).

The idea is to enable most of the useful peripherals like gpio, timers,
serial ports, I2C, SPI, etc, and create pinmux entries to allow
switching between the various functions on a per-pin bases at run-time.

This seems useful enough I figure someone might have done it already,
but I couldn't find anything similar.  I thought I'd ask here to see if
anyone knows of a project like this, or perhaps some reason why trying
to do this would be a Bad Idea.

Alternately, if this seems useful, I would appreciate any advice or help
with implementation, particularly naming conventions for the user-space
controls and anything to watch out for when setting up some of the SoC
peripherals.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx