Re: [patch 2.6.28-rc3-omap 0/4] twl4030 regulator support

On Thursday 13 November 2008, Tony Lindgren wrote:

> > Oh, and somewhat related ... nothing seems to turn off unused
> > regulators.  I'm thinking that bitmasks to define the P1/P2/P3
> > group memberships of most power resources would do the job.
>
> Yeah I was wondering about that too. Should the processor group
> membership be set only once during init?

I think it should certainly be set during init.  The PM scripts
don't change membership, but I can imagine some of them would
want to use custom type or subtype codes that would also need to
be set during init.

The current way to enable/disable a regulator for Linux purposes
is to add/remove it from the P1 group.  That seems OK for now...
only a handful of regulators use software control like that,
which would change membership after init.

But we *could* enable/disable by directly setting the mode.
I decided against doing it that way, on the grounds that until
we get some use cases that need something else, we're best off
keeping things simple.

- Dave