From: linux-omap-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linux-omap-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jason Marini
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 11:18 AM
To: linux-omap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: i2c errors on omap3430sdp

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm currently testing the OV3640 CSI2 camera implementation for 3430SDP, and I had \
>> it working some weeks ago.
>> Today I did a git pull from the master branch.
>>
>> Without changing anything i2c related, I now sometimes get a message that I wasn't \
>> getting before:
>> i2c_omap i2c_omap.2: controller timed out waiting for start condition to finish
>> i2c_omap i2c_omap.2: controller timed out waiting for start condition to finish
>>
>> Anyone is seeing this?
>>
>> Any omap i2c registration changes that I could be missing?
>
>Is you driver new style i2c driver ???
>
>Can you put some printks in your driver and try to narrow down which
>transfer is triggering this timeout ??
>
>--
>balbi
>--

Sergio,

I recently added a patch to print out that message if the i2c bus took
longer than 1s to poll for the i2c start condition.  I had been seeing
kernel lockups when doing soft resets, and JTAG debug pointed me an
infinite loop in the omap_i2c_read_reg function.  I added a timeout,
as can be seen in my patch here:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&m=121995188317408&w=2

You are seeing this message instead of a kernel hang :^)

-Jason Marini