Re: NULL pointer dereference when using ALSA SOC

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:50:53 +0300
"ext Jarkko Nikula" <jarkko.nikula@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:56:00 +0530
> "ext Arun KS" <getarunks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am writing an ASOC driver for tlvaic23 on osk5912 platform.
> > When do an aplay, I m getting a  NULL pointer dereference. I added
> > some debug prints in the soc/core/pcm_native.c, also in codec and
> > platform drivers. The null pointer is comming in IOCTL
> > SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_SYNC_PTR. Log is pasted below.
> >
> It's good that you can reproduce this on OSK as well.
>
> I think some configuration difference is revealing this bug out. For
> instance I can trigger this on Beagle with overo_defconfig + manually
> adding support for Beagle (CONFIG_MACH_OMAP3_BEAGLE=y) and ASoC
> Beagle (CONFIG_SND_OMAP_SOC_OMAP3_BEAGLE=y).
>
> But I cannot reproduce this with Beagle defconfig + manually adding
> support for Overo (CONFIG_MACH_OVERO=y) and ASoC Beagle
> (CONFIG_SND_OMAP_SOC_OMAP3_BEAGLE=y).

I narrowed this into CONFIG_SLUB. When it's set, I can reproduce the
bug both with N810 and Beagle but not when using CONFIG_SLAB.

Can you try will the problem disappear on your OSK and Overo if you
select slab allocator instead? You find selection under "General
setup" menu.

Jarkko