Re: FOR COMMENT: void __iomem * and similar casts are Bad News

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 03:15:10PM -0700, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> Back online now. These changes look ggood to me in general, except
> I suggest that we use the following standard:
>
> - Keep OMAP1_IO_ADDRESS() and OMAP2_IO_ADDRESS() as I have some
>   experimental patches to compile in both omap1 and omap2 into the
>   same binary. Booting the kernel currently still requires some
>   Makefile.boot patching, but at least compiling everything in makes
>   things easier to maintain in the long run.

Already decided to do that.

> - Use io_p2v() for initializing dynamic stuff as it can be a function
>   for non-optimized multiboot binaries.

It can't become a function - it's used in structure initialization so
must be constant.

There's a few places where it's used where resources are passed into
drivers - in which case if the device is at a different physical address
it's the resources which should be changed, not the translation macro.

Anyway, I've put a modified version in my git tree.

I still want to hear on the other build fix in the patch, and there's
also a missing function for mmc stuff which I've not looked into yet.