Re: Problems with USB Gadget on the OMAP3EVM

On 8/5/08, Felipe Balbi <felipe.balbi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 04:47:02PM +0530, ext kanagesh radhakrishnan wrote:
>  > Running the Test
>  > -------------------------
>  > On the OMAP3EVM Target
>  > #######################
>  > On successful boot with this kernel on the target board, after
>  > plugging in the USB cable, the following messages appear on the
>  > console:
>  >
>  > musb_stage2_irq 863: SUSPEND (b_idle) devctl 99 power e0
>  > musb_stage0_irq 722: BUS RESET
>  > musb_stage0_irq 722: BUS RESET
>  > musb_stage0_irq 722: BUS RESET
>  > musb_stage0_irq 722: BUS RESET
>  > musb_stage0_irq 722: BUS RESET
>  > musb_stage0_irq 722: BUS RESET
>  > musb_stage0_irq 722: BUS RESET
>  > musb_stage0_irq 722: BUS RESET
>  > usb0: high speed config #2: 100 mA, Ethernet Gadget, using RNDIS
>  > musb_stage0_irq 722: BUS RESET
>  > musb_stage0_irq 722: BUS RESET
>  > musb_stage2_irq 863: SUSPEND (b_peripheral) devctl 99 power f0
>  >
>  > I then setup an IP address for the usb0 interface with the following command:
>  >
>  > [root@OMAP3EVM /]# /sbin/ifconfig usb0 192.168.1.1 up netmask 255.255.255.0
>  >
>  > On the Linux Host machine
>  > #######################
>  >
>  > On insertion of the USB cable, 'dmesg' shows the following messages:
>  >
>  > usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using address 3
>  > usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 2 choices
>  > usb 1-2: can't set config #1, error -71
>

> That's weird since gadget api set config 2 as your dmesg states.
>
> usb0: high speed config #2: 100 mA, Ethernet Gadget, using RNDIS
>

> > The Problem
>  > -------------------
>  > On an attempt to setup an IP address for the usb0 interface, I get the
>  > following error:
>  >
>  > usb0: unknown interface: No such device
>  > SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
>  > usb0: unknown interface: No such device
>  > SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
>  > SIOCGIFADDR: No such device
>  > SIOCSIFBROADCAST: No such device
>

> Looks like the problem is in the host side usbnet.ko. What kernel
>  version is in your host machine ?
>

>  > The Test Setup
>  > ----------------------
>  >
>  > Host
>  > ####
>  >    Linux machine running Fedora Core 5.
>  >    Manually loaded the module usbnet.ko.
>

> Which kernel version is in this fedora core 5 ??
>

>  > Target
>  > #####
>  >    OMAP3EVM running OMAP35x_SDK_0.9.8 firmware: x-load, u-boot and
>  > kernel (linux-2.6.22.18)
>  >    Dip switches (SW4) set to boot from NAND flash (01010000)
>  >
> [...]

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for the comments and suggestions.

The version of Linux kernel on the native host Fedora Core 5 machine
is the default 2.6.9-1.667 kernel that comes with the FC5 release.
Keeping in mind where we are, this does sound like an ancient kernel.
However, I have USB networking with Gadget drivers working on this
same machine with OMAP5912 OSK, OMAP2430 SDP and another custom
OMAP2430 based board.

Nevertheless, I decided to upgrade to a more recent version of the
Linux kernel on the host system.  I will test the setup once again and
update the observation.

Meanwhile, I tested the setup with a Windows XP host machine and these
are the observations:
On insertion of the USB cable to the Win XP host machine, the OMAP3EVM
board gets detected as 'RNDIS/Ethernet' Device.  I go through the
driver installation (driver used is file Documentation/usb/linux.inf
from the standard Linux kernel sources).  After the installation is
complete, I get an error from the Windows XP system saying "An error
was encountered while installing the driver and the hardware might not
function as intended"

Thank you all,
Regards,
Kanagesh