RE: USB driver issue

Hello,

I don't want to argue if something is new or old. This depends on the point of view, but I'm asking you to revise your considerations of what YOU label
as old and I agree with Anand, because this is also my point of view.

For my workstation that has dual core cpu and enough ram I can afford it installing and patching almost everyday a new kernel, but what I'm missing is a kind of kernel version that has been debugged and improved (tested) and can be installed on our home/office servers. That is definitely not the case with 2.6.24, that I've been testing for the few last months

What happens now is that many things are changing so fixing a bug in a new kernel release may solve the problem related to this bug, but this same kernel comes with couple of other bugs that make the same kernel obsolete especially in embedded environment like Anand says.

So I think it's better to get bugs in one kernel version sorted out and then proceed to the next ... and also you should not do major changes in subversion ... the pitty thing is that 2.6.X has many features and advantages compared to 2.4 and I would stick to 2.4. if I was not that lazy to compile all the stuff myself, but may be that's what I should do to avoid further discussions of the kind.

I think everything is getting pretty messy recently - I was pretty satisfied with 2.6.20 and then tried 2.6.24. In fact I can not compile 2.6.20 right now because after an upgrade debian testing comes with gcc-4.3 that has a background struggle about who's wrong between gcc people and Linus Torvalds and the issue is still open.

So what I'm pleading for is to focus on stability!

And yes I'm planing to try 2.6.26, but I'm pretty sure that there would be issues with drivers like uvcview, the proprietary ATI and NVidia and apps like skype

So what I would like to have if you "recommend" something than also to provide the functionality expected namely in terms of not only a working kernel but also supported 3rd party drivers and apps and the ability for the developers of such software to catch up

thanks for understanding and support