Re: [RFC/PATCH] OMAP PM interface

Paul Walmsley <paul@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Kevin Hilman wrote:
>
>> I've only given a quick glance so far at the actual patch, but my
>> first comments are regarding the dismissal of the PM QoS framework.
>>
>> I totally agree that the QoS framework in its current form has several
>> drawbacks and limitations.  However, instead of re-designing something
>> new, I think maybe we should first try to extend the QoS framework.
>
> I agree that the PM QOS code should be extended, but I suspect that this
> will probably take several months and quite a bit of coordination.
>
> The OMAP PM interface isn't intended to replace the PM QOS code.  Its
> purpose is to provide a common interface behind which either the TI Shared
> Resource Framework or the Linux PM QOS code can be used.
>
> The proposed interface is intended to be temporary.  In the medium- to
> long-term, the OMAP PM interface functionality needs to be integrated into
> the Linux PM QOS code.  As the PM QOS layer matures, I expect that the
> OMAP PM interface will disappear.

Great, this is exactly what I was thinking was the right direction.
Although, it will probably never completely disappear.  I have my
doubts that there will ever be a "one size fits all", but it's worth
shooting for, and keeping the OMAP PM layer small.

> Perhaps where we differ is in the expectation of how long the process of
> updating the PM QOS code will take.

Actually, I think we're on the same page there too.  I also think it
may be pretty difficult and time consuming to come up with a generic
enough layer that can work both in the x86/ACPI world and in embedded.
However, I do think it's a worthy goal, and I should be able to help
contribute to that end as well.

> It seems like non-trivial work to get the PM QOS code to match the
> power savings possible with TI SRF in a way that isn't architecture-
> or chip-revision-specific.  It will probably require some general
> notion of a powerdomain, and will probably involve bus and device
> code.  Our PM QOS changes will affect other architectures and
> drivers not used by OMAP, which will create patches and testing
> liability for code outside the OMAP tree.  Our design changes also
> should be sufficiently architecture-agnostic, so they won't need to
> be scrapped when the next chip architecture comes along.  These
> goals all seem possible, but will take time to discuss across
> architectures, implement, and get into mainline.
>
> Meanwhile, during that process, we should take advantage of the power
> savings possible with the SRF code.  The SRF itself could theoretically be
> merged, but it also has some shortcomings.  The driver PM interface should
> not be specific to particular OMAP silicon.  Driver PM calls should not
> require other architectures to share notions of OMAP-specific layers like
> powerdomains.  And we'd like to compare a future PM QOS implementation
> with the SRF without changing each individual driver, via some mechanism
> like Kconfig.
>
> Hence the proposed interface.  As an additional benefit, we'll end up
> documenting the changes that we need to make to the Linux PM QOS code
> via working driver code, rather than just assertions.
>
> I don't mean to portray the OMAP PM interface as a panacea. Its purpose is
> pretty limited.  It's intended to bridge the gap between where PM QOS is
> now, and hopefully where it'll be in several months' time.

And from what I see so far, it will bridge this gap very well.

Thanks again for this work,

Kevin