Re: DSP Bridge driver for OMAP3 platform

Hi Eduardo,

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 3:25 AM, Eduardo Valentin <edubezval@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Trilok and Hari,
>

>  On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 4:58 AM, Trilok Soni <soni.trilok@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > Hi Hari,
>  >
>  >
>  >  On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:33 AM, Kanigeri, Hari <h-kanigeri2@xxxxxx> wrote:
>  >  > Hi Trilok,
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >  > 1. Is this a complete re-write of TI internal dspbridge release to
>  >  >  > confirm with linux kernel coding standards? I have heard that internal
>  >  >
>  >  >  > TI bridge is more of layered code and not confirming to Linux kernel
>  >  >  > coding standards.
>  >  >  It is layered code and most of the code is up to date with Linux Kernel
>  >  >
>  >  > Coding standards.
>  >  >
>  >  >  > 2. Does this package has DOFF/COFF format loader?
>  >  >  yes, this package includes DOFF/COFF format loader.
>  >  >
>  >
>  >  Thanks for the reply. As you have opened the doff format. Could you
>  >  please put document explaining the architecture of this format? I
>  >  mean, just a simple table by explaining which block follows whom and
>  >  pointer to other blocks. e.g. section(s) -> string table -> data etc.
>  >
>  >  As I can see that this DOFF loader has been written in kernel-space,
>  >  any special reasons for such design? It could have been simply written
>  >  in userspace and then after parsing and based on cpu-state we could
>  >  have just copied the required sections into targets memory/or bunch of
>  >  co-processors memory.
>
>  I agree here. If I understood correctlu, moving this code to kernel space would
>  only make it complex. If you put this in user land, kernel code will
>  be more independent from formats.
>  Just memory handling code would be necessary into kernel side to
>  implement this feature.

Moved CC to linux-omap@vger list. Sorry for replying earlier to old
ML, I totally forgot. Actually by bringing doff loader to userspace,
we can later integrate that with libbfd in binutils, and loading could
become even simpler.

--
---Trilok Soni
http://triloksoni.wordpress.com