Re: OMAP3430: MUSB host and hot-plugging

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:30:03PM -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 March 2008, Kevin Hilman wrote:
>
> > However, if I then plug the key back in, nothing happens.
> >
> > Forcing a session start via "echo 'F' > /proc/driver/musb_hdrc" causes
> > the device to be (re)detected and things look good again.  It is not
> > until I force the session start that I see the interrupt and the
> > CONNECT event.
> >
> > Any ideas why this isn't detected on insertion?
>
> Just for the record ... that's always been a problem.  There's
> some strange side-effect driven magic in the Mentor IP, right
> in that area, which has always been fragile.
>
> For example, it seems to think something other than the state
> of the ID pin should control whether it's in the A-side state
> machine (default host) or the B-side one (default peripheral),
> and it gets fairly twitchey about VBUS levels too ... as in,
> it doesn't allow the specified 100 msec for it to stabilize,
> and enters a fault/shutdown mode if voltage drops because of,
> say, contact bounce or inrush current, while it stabilizes.
>
> Needing that "force session start" is a warning flag.  The
> very notion of that kind of "session" is something introduced
> by Mentor, which is not part of the OTG spec (at least, not in
> anything like that form).  Multiple weeks have been wasted
> trying to sort out misbehavior in that area, and there seem
> to be revision-specific issues too.

Looks like code is flakey again after merging usb stuff with mainline
then?

But I tried with n800/n810 and it's working fine, this surely means the
problem resides either in drivers/usb/musb/omap2430.c or
driver/i2c/chips/twl4030-usb.c

I'm more into some flakeyness in omap2430.c as it looks like
twl4030-usb.c generates the cable insertion interrupt. Could it be some
problem in the ULPI support for omap3 that's preventing musb to wake up
and switch to host role ? Maybe we're not getting wakeup events e.g.
cable insertion interrupt is not waking up Mentor IP Core ?

Well, these still some thoughts I still need to debug more in order to
really understand the problem there.

--
Best Regards,

Felipe Balbi