Re: utility for numa placement of POSIX shared memory segments

Sorry for the late answer

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 09:04:36AM +0100, Andreas Grapentin wrote:
> It seems to me that until now, the main numactl binary is limited to
> functionality to query and control the policies that determine the
> placement of future pages. Physically moving already placed pages from a
> process' resident set had been implemented in the separate binary
> migratepages, which seemed like a good separation of concerns to me.
> That's why I initially suggested having a separate binary for the moving
> of shared memory pages.

migratepages is separate because it deals with the private address
space of a process, not because it moves pages.

> That being said, it is definitely possible to integrate that
> functionality into the numactl binary, if this is the preferred
> approach. What do you suggest would be a good integration into the
> command line parameter setup?

I would add a --move-pages

> Secondly, lookig at the command line parameters of numactl, it seems to
> only be compatible with SysV shared memory segments (ftok, shmget), not
> posix shared memory segments (shm_open) is this correct?

shm_open is just a wrapper around mmap on a file.

You can specify the underlying file of shm_open with --file

-Andi