Re: Official git repo for numactl (any other VCS would be fine as well)

Hi Cliff and Andi,

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 5:47 AM, Cliff Wickman <cpw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Any chance to set up an official git repository for the numactl source code?
>
> I'm not opposed to it, it's just not high on my list.  We've only had 3
> patches in the past year.
[...]
>> I'd be happy to help set up a git repository, except that I don't
>> really have access to the code history,
>
> All the patches are in a tarball in the tarball: patches.tar.gz

Ok I spent some time and managed to recreate the history from those
patches and the archives in the download FTP site into a git
repository. I managed to spot the commits where releases were created
and I added commits to those.

The resulting repository can be found here:
https://github.com/filbranden/numactl

Some caveats about applying the patches:
- History before 1.0.2 is only from the FTP archives, so I only stored
the imports.
- Release 1.0.3 (which unpacks to 1.0.3-rc2) did not match a patch
exactly, I believe a patch was reworked after the release, I decided
to skip this release and go straight to 2.0.0
- When not available from the patch, I tried to guess timestamps based
on the date of the patch (or when unpacking tarballs, the timestamp of
the "." directory inside the tarball.)
- In most cases I could guess the author of the patch, when I could
not I used either Andi or Cliff, whoever was the maintainer at the
time.
- (Patch 1210_bg_numastat did not mention author, I guessed this was
the same bg from 1407_bg_numactl_show and assigned it to Bill Gray.)
- (Patch 0811_dr_compat had an e-mail conversation with Daniel
[Gollub] but there was no e-mail address so I attributed it to Cliff.)
- Release 2.0.6 included patch 1010_cw_numa_get_run_node_mask which
was later reverted, I did apply it and later reverted it in git to
reproduce that case.

Furthermore:
- I kept the permissions of the files sane, *.c, *.h, Makefile,
versions.ldscript, man pages, etc., were kept non-executable even when
at some point they were shipped with executable bit set.
- I kept the "head" file and the "test/move_pages" binary out of the
repository since I believe they should never have been distributed in
the first place.
- I also did not keep patches.tar.gz in the git archive since the git
history supplements it.

There are two branches, "imports" is the straight import of each
tarball while "master" goes through the patches starting at release
1.0.2.

There are tags for all the releases (except for 1.0.3-rc2 as mentioned above.)

Please take a look and let me know what you think and if you'd like me
to do some adjustments.

If you'd like to move it to somewhere more official (e.g. under
git.kernel.org or somewhere in oss.sgi.com) you should feel free to do
it, that's why I did this. (The main reason I posted it to GitHub was
to make it easy to share it here.)

Cheers!
Filipe