Re: MPOL_INTERLEAVE page-wise binding dump

Hi,

> On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:58:08 +0100
> Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 05:12:41PM +0000, Ananya Muddukrishna wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there an inexpensive way to determine
> > which pages (virtual addresses)
> > are bound to which NUMA nodes when
> > using MPOL_INTERLEAVE or MPOL_BIND
> > with a given set of nodes?
>

> get_mempolicy MPOL_F_ADDR|MPOL_F_NODE

Thanks! I will check this out and get back. I hope this returns the
affinity as a page-to-node map.

> > I want to implement a strict
> > round-robin based interleaving
> > policy based on MPOL_INTERLEAVE.
>
> What's the rationale?

The rationale relates to scheduling tasks (OpenMP and the like) with
page affinity in a user-level runtime system (work-crew threading
model).

The runtime system allocates memory pages in a deterministic way using
mbind and from then on, schedules tasks such that accesses to task
operated pages (affinity) do not incur large NUMA overheads. I am
thinking of using mlock so that swapin_readahead does not affect the
affinity of runtime-allocated pages. The first-touch policy is not of
much help since the allocated memory is initialized before tasks are
scheduled.

> -Andi
> --
> ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.