Re: segmentation fault in numa_node_to_cpus_v1

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 05:59:42PM -0500, Cliff Wickman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 03:52:59PM -0400, Michael Spiegel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to run the HotSpot Java VM on an SGI UV 1000 with 4096
> > cores.  When I enable the NUMA-aware garbage collection algorithm, I
> > get a segmentation fault as the virtual machine is initializing.  The
> > sigsegv is occurring at one of the memcpy's in numa_node_to_cpus_v1,
> > although I'm afraid I can't determine whether libnuma is being called
> > correctly or incorrectly.  I am testing on a system that has numactl
> > 2.0.5.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --Michael
>
> Hi Michael,
>
>   I see that Scott Lundal gave you a possible fix.
>   There were some important corrections added to the latest version, so
>   if you could try building numactl/libnuma from numactl-2.0.6-rc3.tar.gz
>   that would be an interesting test.
>   (ftp://oss.sgi.com/www/projects/libnuma/download/)

Hi Cliff,

   I suspect that Michael will find the same problem with the newest
numactl release;   the problem is that oracle (in my case) and the JVM
(in Michael's case) don't use the 'dlvsym' function after dynamically
the wrong API for 'numa_node_to_cpus' instead of the one for the
version the jvm was coded for.   We've seen a seg fault if the
wrong version of numa_node_to_cpus is called because of the signature
change.

  My patch just changes the symbol versioning to swap the _v1 and _v2
default.  Of course, any properly written applications cannot use this
modified library, so it's best to load it with LD_LIBRARY_PATH rather
than replacing the system library.

scott