Re: Fix build break in numactl-2.0.2

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:52:53PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > The below patch, which modifies the asm in quesition to use a register of the
> > compliers choosing, rather than ebx specifically, corrects the problem for me:
>

> The patch is wrong, cpuid has fixed output registers and using an arbitary
> one is not correct.
>
> It sounds like you're compiling numademo as PIC code. Why should you
> do that? It's wrong.

Why? I don't see any reason that that numademo can't be built as position
independent.  Its never been a problem on previous versions, and I'm not aware
of any philosophical reason why its inherently a bad idea.  I need to look
through my history, but IIRC I started using PIC to allow exec-shield to work on
these applications, so theres a benefit, I don't see the downside.

> Ok I guess you're using position independent executables, but that's
> just a bad idea here.

Again, what exactly is wrong with using PIC executables in this case?  Other than the
obvious build failure?

Neil

--
 * Neil Horman <nhorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>