Re: /proc/PID/numa_maps doc changes

Hi Andi,

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 03:56:09PM +0200, Michael Kerrisk wrote:
>> Hi Lee, Cliff, all,
>>
>> I added the numa_maps material to the proc(5) page, for man-pages-3.07.
>>
>> I made some formatting and spelling fixes, and in addition:
>>
>> * Noted need for CONFIG_NUMA
>> * Added kernel version (2.6.14)
>> * s/task/process in one place.
>>
>> The patch to proc.5 is below.
>
> I'm not sure why you want to put it all into proc.5? It already
> is too big and monolithic imho. If you put it in there then at least keep
> a pointer in the separate numa maps page so that people already
> using it don't lose the link. But I think it would
> be better to keep it separate and just add a pointer to proc.5

Yes, I paused for a moment over this.  However, I don't want to make
separate man pages for every sizable /proc entry.  Or at least I don't
want to do that at this time, nor to make an exception in this one
case.  (There would be a number of candidates for getting split out of
proc(5), and I don't want to just do one of them; there needs to be a
consistent approach, which I haven't yet worked out.)

Having said that, I was wondering about the idea of having a numa(7)
page, which gave a brief overview of NUMA, and included the details of
numa_maps (and then just have a cross-ref in proc(5)).  Would anyone
be willing to write a *short* numa(7)?

--
Michael Kerrisk
man-pages online: http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online_pages.html