Re: [Fwd: Re: [LTP]: Test Case Design for move_pages()]]

Vivek Thakkar wrote:
> Hi Vijay,
>
> I have also used move_pages() in my thesis to move very high number of
> pages ( >100 K). Apparently, there is another way to move pages, which
> is through mbind() syscall with MPOL_MF_MOVE_PAGE flag. In a
> micro-benchmark, I found that mbind takes really less time as compared
> to move_pages().  The simple test case allocates a large number of pages

That is surprising since they both trigger a call to the same migration function.

> (linearly contiguous) on one node and then uses either move_pages or
> mbind to initiate migration on a different note. I found that for high
> number of pages (> 20 K), the difference is of the order of 100x. I
> don't have an answer to this. I did some theoretical calculations (based
> on the NUMA interconnect bandwidth and the amount of data to be
> migrated) and it looks that mbind is probably a truer representation of
> the migration time.

Huh? There must be some other effects here. The method of gathering the pages is even
similar. Do you just move_pages to move pages of the currently executing process or of pages from some other process?