Problem purging data

For some some months now I've been having some random issues purging data and with nilfs's cleaning processes apparently locking up my CPU.  I was not able to really track it down until recently since it was not happening with any regularity.  Previous lockups required a hard power cycle but then cleaning would appear to succeed. At this point, my system isn't locking up but the gc is also not running and when I issue commands manually, it consistently fails.

What I have is two 8Tb WD Red drives in a mirror connected to a system via eSATA. I'm running Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS and the NILFS modules is:

modinfo nilfs2
filename:       /lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/kernel/fs/nilfs2/nilfs2.ko
alias:          fs-nilfs2
license:        GPL
author:         NTT Corp.
srcversion:     7023EDF2E526FC1842E707B
depends:
intree:         Y
vermagic:       4.4.0-21-generic SMP mod_unload modversions

The error in my logs when I run "nilfs-clean -p 90d" is:

nilfs_cpfile_delete_checkpoints: invalid range of checkpoint numbers: [12105198362197267191, 644179)
NILFS: GC failed during preparation: cannot delete checkpoints: err=-22

12105198362197267191 is not a valid CNO but from what I remember 644179 was at one point a snapshot that I changed back to a checkpoint so it would purge.  That appears to have succeeded as it is no longer listed when I run "lscp".

~ ~ ~

My question is what can I do to correct this?  The volume has now filled up so I can not use it.  I don't want to format it and lose all the history since I do not know what happened to begin with.  Are there any advanced ways to clean up the system or in general fix errors like this?

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167