Re: NILFS error after power loss

[ ... ]

> But as far as I understand it is not possible to mount a
> previous snapshot as writable if there are snapshots/checkpoints
> after this snapshot. Since I only get a filesystem error when
> mounting a snapshot writable,

That seems unlikely to me. After mounting read-only, check whether
the whole filetree can be accessed error-free, with something like

  find $DIR -xdev -perm /07777 | wc -l

for metadata and then for data too:

  tar -f /dev/zero -c --one $DIR

> I will then have to remove one checkpoint at a time from the end
> and make the latest one a snapshot and mount it rewritable. [
> ... ]

Eventually, if you can find a checkpoint/snapshot that is
error-free, you can delete any newer corrupted ones and mount that
one read-write. Ideally you would do a nice backup before doing
that.

If you cannot find any that is error-free, probably that was
either a grievous IO error (most likely lack of proper barriers)
or the consequences of that recently discovered bug, if you are
very unlucky.

Usually the second newest checkpoint/snapshot is error-free when
a system crashes and the newest has got errors, that is usually
only the newest checkpoint is invalid.