Re: Feature request: time-shift function

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 01:57:40AM +0800, Eric Lan wrote:
> Every checkpoint represent a complete filesystem at a given time. When
> a system corruption occurs, is it possible to mount a specified
> checkpoint (when the system is still clean) as read-write to
> "time-shift" to the state when the bad thing still not happened. Of
> course the checkpoints newer than the "time-shift" point will be
> discarded.

I would also very much like to see an easy method to make the fs "forget"
the checkpoints from a certain point onwards. I guess it would be enough
to satisfy all the features from this mail, Eric would like to see.

Mode of operation would be:

 1 Notice a problem with the data on a system (e.g. update went wrong,
   all libraries are broken. We need to revert)
 2 Verify on an earlier checkpoint, that everything is fine
 3 Revert to that checkpoint, discarding all checkpoints later than
   that.
 4 profit.

I guess though that this is not as trivial as it seems.

Kind regards,

 /jbn

--
Joel Brunenberg - Troisdorf