Re: Feature request: A user-space program listing versioning history of a specified file

I think these requests, when materialized, would be very useful and
become attractive features for NILFS2 because the natural advantages
(COW & preserving previous versions of files) of NILFS2 become very
convenient for the users to access to recover old versions of or
deleted files.

Actually, I thought it may be possible to use BASH scripting to list
versions of files. The script may work by mounting checkpoints one by
one retrogradely to find the specified files with different mtime
until the absence of the file in a certain checkpoint. But the
performance would be low. How to collect these versions for users to
view easily(without mounting by the user again)? I don't know if it is
possible to make a "hardlink" inode in the current "checkpoint" that
points to an old version of file. This way, the duplication load could
be spared. But I wondered if that would interfere with garbage
collection.

Just sharing some ideas. Anyway, thank you for taking these requests
into consideration ^^

Anticipating,
Eric Lan