Re: snapshots contain the same rrd database

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 05:54:21PM +0400, Vyacheslav Dubeyko wrote:
> Hi Piotr,
>
> On Wed, 2014-02-26 at 14:32 +0100, Piotr Szymaniak wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I got a system crash after some 160+ days uptime. After a hard reboot I
> > noticed my rrd database looks corrupted.
> >
> > So I changed some recent checkpoints to snapshots, mounted them and...
> > all the rrd files are the same!
> >

> To be honest, I don't understand clearly:
> (1) How did you get the issue?

To me it looks like the file hasn't changed since the first boot. Like
it's not written at all? Is there a way to check something like "file
position" on disk in specific snapshot?

rrds are a bit weird databases. When created they are, ie. size A. And
all the way in time they gather some data and are always in that size A.
The size doesn't change. Maybe this is related?

> (2) Did you create snapshots after crash?

Yes.

> (3) Had you some snapshots before crash?

No.

> If you had a crash then you should have some error messages in the
> system log. Have you something? Or did you lose all error messages
> during the crash?

The crash was related to a process running on a different filesystem. My
syslog has only garbage, so yes, it is lost.

> Anyway, I need to have the reproducing path for investigate the issue.
> Of course, I am not going to wait 160 days before achieving the issue
> reproducibility. :) One of the possible way is to share some small
> NILFS2 volume with good issue reproducibility. But, currently, I don't
> quite follow in what way I can reproduce the issue.

I suppose this could be related to this "size A" mentioned above. Will
try to figure out some reproducibility path.

Piotr Szymaniak.
--
Jest  tam  jedno  powiedzenie...  nie pamietam go dokladnie,  ale brzmi
mniej wiecej tak:  "Czlowiek wyczuwajacy wiatr zmian winien budowac nie