Re: Does nilfs2 do any in-place writes?

Hi Vyacheslav,

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 14:08:32 +0400, Vyacheslav Dubeyko wrote:
> Hi Ryusuke,
>
> On Thu, 2014-01-16 at 00:23 +0900, Ryusuke Konishi wrote:
>

>> By the way, do you have any nice idea to stop periodical update of
>> superblocks?
>>

> Yes, I think too that such suggestion is valuable for NILFS2. But I
> suppose that the problem is more complex. I mean a situation with
> write-able snapshots. If we will have write-able snapshots then it means
> necessity to have independent version of some superblock's  fields
> (s_last_cno, s_last_pseg, s_last_seq, s_mtime, s_wtime, s_mnt_count,
> s_state, s_c_interval, s_feature_compat_ro, s_feature_incompat). For
> example, snapshot can be made before xafile creation on a volume and
> write-able snapshot should continue to live without possibility to xattr
> creation, and so on.

OK, please tell me what do you suppose about the writable snapshot.

Do you think we should keep multiple branches or concurrently
mountable namespaces on one device ?

I prefer to maintain only one super root block per partition even if
we support writable snapshots.  Otherwise, I think we should use
multiple partitions to simplify the design.

I mean keeping multiple branches in one super root block with a DAT
file and a sufile in such a case.  Maintaining multiple DAT files and
sufiles on one device seems too complex to me.

Regards,
Ryusuke Konishi