Re: Filesystem error causes nilfs_btree_do_lookup to trigger cpu soft lockup

Hi Michael,

On Nov 14, 2013, at 3:44 AM, Michael Conrad wrote:

> Hi, using Nilfs in kernel 3.2.12, I started running into errors after about a week of steady use.  On the system where this happened, it didn't behave very well; the kernel's watchdog detected a soft-lockup after 23 seconds and rebooted the system.  I had it mounted with "-o errors=continue".
>
> I moved the drive to a different system, and mounted it (with errors=remount-ro), and read the problem files, and got I/O errors in user-land (as I might expect) but it didn't hang up the kernel or trigger a soft-lockup.
>
> After some reading, I now understand that errors=continue might not be the best idea.  Also, the soft-lockup is detected after 20 seconds, which is maybe too narrow of a window?
>
> But, I wanted to post here and see if you recognized a bug that was already fixed in a newer kernel, or if it inspires ideas of how to prevent soft-lockups (by putting limits on scanning functions, or something).  Also, I've decided I should at least upgrade to kernel 3.2.52, but do you know if I need to go newer than that, to avoid known bugs?
>
> Below is the output of "log" on the crash utility, from my vmcore.

Thank you for the issue report.

But anyway I need to understand a reproducing path of the issue.
Could you describe the reproducing path?
I can't investigate the issue without clear understanding of the reproducing
path and how stably it is possible to reproduce it.

Thanks,
Vyacheslav Dubeyko.