Re: Broken nilfs2 filesystem

On Wed, 2013-06-12 at 22:31 +0200, Anton Eliasson wrote:

[snip]
> > I tried to make LVM environment as it was described by Anton. But I
> > didn't catch the issue in this environment. So, I think that I haven't
> > properly aged NILFS2 volume state and I tried not proper workload. It
> > needs to think about proper workload more deeply. As I can see from
> > Anton's system log that it took place frequent update and git activity.
> > Moreover, update and git were nearly before crash:

> I'm not so sure that my issues are caused by aging of the filesystem. As
> I described in my third e-mail on May 30
> (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.nilfs.user/2957), I
> was able to trash my new /home which was only a week old. I'm starting
> to think it has something to do with either VMware or bup (which is git
> based) or a combination of both.

As I understand, the issue takes place on GC side. This fact complicates
the situation because the real problem can be far from detected
symptoms. I mean that a real issue can occur earlier without detection.
So, I assume that possible reasons can be: (1) special file system aging
state; (2) race condition. Any of these reason can be reproduced only by
clear and strict reproducing path. So, I have to find the reproducing
path, firstly.

Soon, I'll finish the preparation of debugging output patch set. I hope
that this patch set can give more details about the issue by reproducing
it on your side.

With the best regards,
Vyacheslav Dubeyko.