Re: Broken nilfs2 filesystem

Vyacheslav Dubeyko skrev 2013-05-23 08:44:
Hi Anton,

On Wed, 2013-05-22 at 22:33 +0200, Anton Eliasson wrote:
Greetings!
It pains me to report that my /home filesystem broke down today. My
system is running Arch Linux 64-bit. The filesystem resides on a Crucial
M4 256 GB SSD, on top of a LVM2 volume. The drive and filesystem are
both around six months old. Partition table and error log excerpts are
at the bottom of this e-mail. Full logs are available upon request.

I am providing this information as a bug report. I have no reason to
suspect the hardware but I cannot exclude it either. If you (the
developers) are interested in troubleshooting this for prosperity, I can
be your hands and run whatever tools are required. If not, I'll reformat
the filesystem, restore the data from backup and forget that this happened.

In case the formatting gets mangled, this e-mail is also available at
What happened today, in chronological order:

~18:00
======
I am troubleshooting some issues that turn out to be caused by a wrongly
configured system clock. The RTC (hardware clock) is set to local time
(UTC+2) but the OS is configured to treat the RTC as UTC. This is
because it was set to UTC previously, but then I reinstalled Windows
which promptly reset it to local time.

This set the mtime of some files in both / and /home to dates in the
future. When I discovered this, I `touch`ed all affected files (`touch
now; sudo find / /home -xdev -newer now -exec touch {} \;`) to reset
their mtime and rebooted the system. I do not know if this is relevant;
if not, it makes reading the log files more fun.

I then launch my command line backup program "bup", Firefox and some
other apps.

~18:50-19:00
============
Firefox freezes. The system keeps running but I can't launch new
programs. It looked like all I/O broke down. However, bup kept running.
I left the computer alone for perhaps 30-60 min.

So, as I understand, a reproducing path is:
(1) set mtime of some files in the future;
(2) touch all affected files;
(3) reboot the system;
(4) launch backup program "bup", Firefox and some other apps.
That about sums up what I did, yes. While debugging the clock problems I rebooted more than once in a short time period.
I think that it makes sense to try this reproducing path. But we had
reports about the issue with likewise symptoms
(nilfs_bmap_lookup_contig: broken bmap) for the case of 4 KB block size
from other users. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce such issue for the
case of 4 KB blocks size earlier. As I feel the clear reproducing path
is crucial for this issue.

I understand that it can be hard to reproduce the issue again. But,
anyway, have you opportunity to try to reproduce the issue on another
NILFS2 partition on your side?

Anyway, I am going to reproduce the issue by this reproducing path on my
side.
I have created a new nilfs filesystem about the same size as the old one on another drive and restored /home to it. If I find the time this weekend, I'll give it the same treatment.
~20:00
======
When I came back, bup hade frozen (/var/log/messages at 18:53:31).[1] I
restart X by pressing Alt+SysRq+K (/var/log/messages at 20:06:33) and
return to the login screen. The system freezes during login though,
probably because /home had probably been mounted read only). So I reboot
using Alt+SysRq+REISUB (/var/log/messages at 20:07:05). I noticed some
I/O errors during shutdown.

After the reboot there are no immediate signs of disaster. I launch bup
again. Some time later, /home remounts as read only. I notice that bup
has reported I/O errors while reading some files in /home.[2] dmesg and
/var/log/kern.log contains errors mentioning "bad btree node" and
"nilfs_bmap_lookup_contig: broken bmap".[3]

Now we have patch for overcome the freezing of system after such issue:
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-nilfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg01614.html.
That is good. I shall await the next release with great anticipation.
With the best regards,
Vyacheslav Dubeyko.

Best Regards,
Anton Eliasson