Re: Very low write-performance and troubles with RPM

Hi Clemens,

On Wed, 2013-04-24 at 15:53 +0200, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am in the process of migrating to nilfs2 for my root-filesystem
> running Fedora-19-alpha.
> Basically the system works quite fine, except:
>
> 1. RPM checks for free inodes prior installing a package, which
> doesn't make any sence of course.
> I can pass "--ignoresize" to RPM which disables those checks, however,
> I haven't found any way to disable it when using the "yum" package
> manager.
> Is there any way to make nilfs2 report a large number of unused inodes
> instead of "0"?

Thank you for the issue report. You simply encounter the non-implemented
part of the NILFS2 driver. It needs to be fixed.

> 2. Write-operations are very slow (a few mb/s) and a lot of time is
> spent inside:
> - segctord
> - the application performing the filesystem operations.

I think that anyway NILFS2 driver needs in optimization efforts.

> I've recorded a system-wide profile of extracting a tar archive as
> well as a larger delete operation (rm):
> https://plus.google.com/photos/118350688762629274389/albums/5870410083987119137?authkey=CPu0iK2TiOWsoQE
>
> Any idea what could be going wrong here?

As I understand, you mean long duration of delete operation for big
files. Unfortunately, this is a side effect of managing checkpoint
information during deletion operation. As I understand, it needs to
implement extents support for improving this.

Thanks,
Vyacheslav Dubeyko.