Re: NILFS2 and data integrity

Hi Vyacheslav,

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 17:16:09 Vyacheslav Dubeyko wrote:
> First of all, I think that it needs to distinguish two issues in your
> e-mail. The first one is the issue with Samsung HDD and the second is
> the issue with "bad b-tree node".

I was able to reproduce "bad b-tree node" on data-corrupting HDD.
I think it is happening when previously corrupted b-tree is read.

It looks like when only data is corrupted there is no "bad b-tree node"
problem.

> Yes, I think that you are really right about necessity to check data
> integrity during segctor and nilfs_cleanerd activity.

Thank you. :)

> The issue with "bad b-tree node" is reported by many guys. But it is not
> not easy to reproduce the issue for 4 KB block size on my side.
> Currently, I can reproduce the issue on NILFS2 volume with 1 KB block
> size. And I am deeply inside investigation of the issue in such
> environment. But it is possible that such use-case can be a 1 KB block
> size related. Currently, I doubt that we have one reason for "bad b-tree
> node" issue.

I'm sure there might be other reasons for this. However I only experienced
"bad b-tree node" in connection with data corruption caused by
malfunctioning HDD with buggy firmware.

Regards,
 Dmitry.